Earlier this year we were trying to figure out a way to give back to social causes we cared about. We quickly came to a few conclusions.
- It didn't make sense for us to focus only on one thing, when there are so many people we can help in the world.
- Although with best intentions, it didn't make sense to just donate to charities since a couple of us have seen first hand how the funds often never actually reach the people/animals who are in need. Plus it's often just a tax loophole for bigger corporations to express their "righteous morality"
- Lastly, the world is complex and sometimes the whole story is not being told. There are many people who care about "causes", but don't really know much about them outside of a netflix documentary. We aren't interested in virtue signaling, we want to make an actual impact we can see.
So we decided to do something different, and a little controversial.
From now on every quarter we are dedicating 10% of our work hours to a single cause that one of our teammates cares deeply about, even if one of us may not agree with it. We believe this will not only support both our team and the social causes they believe in, but it will also accomplish the goals for each of us for:
- Gaining new perspective into a world we may have not known existed and grow a better understanding of the world around us, as well as how we impact it with our actions.
- Help to (hopefully) grow our emotional intelligence and foster true connections within communities we care deeply about
- Test our own convictions by seeing how true the problems and organizations we care about REALLY are. Example; Educational materials are not as important if the family does not have access to bare essentials like safe running water.
We hope you enjoy joining us on this journey. First up to win the raffle is our Operations Manager who is passionate about supporting POC and BIPOC small businesses. You will see posts from time to time regarding this as we work together to help out these businesses. If you have any questions shoot us an email firstname.lastname@example.org